Trips & Adventures – 13 December 2018
The Midland is a Manchester institution. Walking through the main entrance we soaked up the history, relaxed in the sleek style and lounged in the luxurious surroundings.
The Midland Hotel is:
- where the world believed Mr Rolls met Mr Royce. Oh dear, that’s a myth, but what a story;
- It’s where Churchill scoffed 16 oysters and a bottle of champagne – and that was before dinner;
- It’s where Hitler kept the bombing planes away from so that it could be the Nazis’ North-west home once they had invaded;
- It’s where George Harrison was refused admission because he wasn’t wearing a tie;
- It’s the famous Edwardian railway hotel built on the site of the house from where the magistrates sent the troops into the Peterloo Massacre, and the site of the concert hall where Chopin was slow-hand-clapped;
- It’s where the great and good – Derek Jacobi, Princess Anne, Martin O’Neill, Nigel Havers, Ed Miliband(!) stay when they come to Manchester; and
- It’s where Out in the City held our Christmas meal!
What more can I say? The Pinot Grigio was very nice and everybody enjoyed their meal. There are lots of pictures to view here
One thought on “Christmas Meal at Midland Hotel”
Thank you Tony I was there in spirit and know you will have all enjoyed it. Sorry I missed it. Will see you all in the New Year peace and hugs to all Helen xxx