Trips & Adventures – 22 March 2018
Historically part of Lancashire, Southport was founded in 1792 when William Sutton, an inn keeper from Churchtown, built a bathing house at what is now the south end of Lord Street. At that time, the area, known as South Hawes, was sparsely populated and dominated by sand dunes. The town was once home to Napoleon III of France.
We had the “special” – fish, chips, peas, bread & butter and a cup of tea/coffee at Jackson’s Traditional Fish & Chip shop. The venue was voted Best Chippy in Southport in 2010 and again in 2013! We didn’t try all the other chip shops, but we certainly enjoyed our meals.
Later we went to Southport Pier, the second longest seaside pleasure pier in the British Isles, but we could only walk about 100 yards as the pier was being repaired.
We had no alternative but to visit Wetherspoons (!) – The Willow Grove – for refreshments.